Saturday, September 28, 2013

Training Run Recap- 6.70 miles

Today marked the fifth week of our official training schedule, bringing our long distance/early morning training run to six miles.

My sister has been an amazing help in support and in organizing a training schedule for us. Sometimes we are able to run together, but other times life happens and we have to go out for the run on our own. It's definitely difficult to motivate yourself when there is no one there to keep you going, but it's those runs alone that you have to dig deep and motivate yourself.

This morning was one of those mornings that our schedules did not match up, so it was up to me to plan a six mile course.

I only made it out once this week for a run. Not ideal, but I am happy that I did get out for the one 3.14 mile run. Normally I try to get out for at least two short runs during the week and one long run on the weekend, but sometimes I am just not able to for a variety of reasons.

This week I also decided to bump up my intervals from 1 minute 15 seconds running: 1 minute walking to 1 minute 15 seconds running: 45 seconds walking. It was a little more difficult than I would have liked, but I also know that any adjustment where I'm running more and/or walking less means more of an effort on my part and that it takes some time to get used to.

The course I planned on included a lot of hills. Probably not the greatest decision. I tell myself while running up a hill that I love hills. It's part of the mental game I sometimes have to play with myself to make it through. Unfortunately the hill at mile two won the mind game and I ended up having to walk up the entire mile.


View from the bottom.

View from the top.
I may not have been able to make it up the hill using running intervals, but I did make it up the hill walking. It may not seem like much considering this was a training run, however it motivated me to make this hill one of my goals to conquer. I will make it to the top using my intervals and no extra walk breaks.
 
Unfortunately this hill also took a lot out me and made the rest of the run a little more difficult. I was able to make up time on the downhill, but as soon as it got a little more difficult than I was comfortable with I began to walk more. I let the physical affect the mental.
 
Reminders to myself
  • Do not use higher intervals on a long distance run when you have only attempted them once.
  • Stop going all out the first two miles and using most of your energy when you are out for a long distance run. Save the speed for your weekly runs and for race day.
  • Do not attempt a mile long intense hill that you are not prepared for and expect to make it up the entire way without extra walk breaks.
  • Taking extra walk breaks for physical reasons is a smart decision and not something to be disappointed about.
  • Taking extra walk breaks for mental reasons is giving in and something that you will most likely regret after.
  • Your body needs fuel on a run six miles or longer. Fuel every 45 minutes or the end of your run will feel more difficult.
  • Burning extra calories on a long run = eating extra calories. Use them well.
  • Long distance runs are supposed to be 1-2 minutes slower than your regular and race day pace. Your pace is currently 12:30 minute miles, therefore your average pace was right on track. Celebrate it instead of thinking about what you could have done differently.
GPS watch.
Distance: 6.70 miles
Time: 1:30:48
Avg Pace: 13:34
Avg Speed: 4.4
Max Speed: 11.0
Elevation Gain: 825 ft
Calories: 826
Temperature: 57*, winds 7 mph SSW, 51% humidity
 
Mile 1- 13:03
Mile 2- 12:13
Mile 3- 15:42
Mile 4- 12:19
Mile 5- 13:07
Mile 6- 13:56
Mile 0.70- 10:31
 
This week was a good reminder for me that I do need to go out more than once in order to get through my long distance run on the weekend. It just makes it easier. I'm in no way a speed runner and I never will be. I do have goals in regards to speed, but I am more focused on distance.
 
I feel like the 12- 12:30 minute miles that I am doing now is enough to push me while not risking injury. I will always be amazed and impressed by those that can run fast, but to me it's just not a part of who I am. I am just happy that I am able to get out and do it.
 
The plan for next week is to get out twice to run and to do strength training three times, then do an easy 3 miles on the weekend. I don't see it being a problem to get that accomplished. It's time to get my body back into shape to make it easier to run these upcoming long distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment