Friday, September 27, 2013

Where it all began...

I started running in 2010. I didn't necessarily want to and I definitely didn't enjoy it, but I was asked to do a 5K with my sister and I decided that it might be fun.

I completed my first 5K on March 27, 2010. Three and a half years ago today (which boggles my mind). It was the 25th Annual Agoura Hills Great Race and it was on my 25th birthday. I thought it would be a good bonding experience with my sister and I thought 3.1 miles wouldn't be too difficult.

I was wrong.

It could be possible that the amount of time I had to train compared to the amount of time I actually trained had a lot to do with how I felt that day. It could be possible that the amount of running/walking my sister told me we would do compared to how much we actually did had a lot to do with how I felt (we ended up running a lot more than I thought we would be). It could also be that I are oatmeal for breakfast, which I had never had before a run. Whatever excuse I want to use, the look on my face when I crossed the finish line is priceless.

Crossing my first finish line.

What happened that day was something I will never be able to describe. I hated running so much prior to and while we were running the race and yet it sparked something inside of me. I loved the racing bib, I loved the finishers medal, I loved running across the finish line (probably because it meant I was done running), I loved completing something, I loved spending that time with my sister, and when I finished I realized that I love running.

Completing this race with my sister formed a bond between us. Although she had completed other races before, this was our first 5K together and it was not only an accomplishment for me to finish, but it was an accomplishment for her as our finishing time gave her a new personal record. (We have gone on to run other races together including 10Ks, half marathons and full marathons).

I will always be thankful to her for pushing me to do something I didn't want to do. If it hadn't been for her I would have never known I had a passion for something I thought I hated.

I committed the superstitious sin of running in the race shirt.
I really cannot believe how fast time goes by. The fact that it has been three and a half years since I ran my first race is just unbelievable to me.

Since then I have:
  • run a total of six 5Ks, two mud run 10Ks, one 10K, seven half marathons and three full marathons
  • made goals for myself, some that I have acheived and some that I am working towards
  • pushed myself to new limits and past breaking points
  • tested my physical and mental boundaries
  • hit road blocks and taken detours 
  • met some amazing people
  • found a friendship with my sister that I always hoped for and never knew was possible 
  • and am learning that I am more than I give myself credit for.
Running has changed my life. It has taught me a lot about myself and I continue to learn new things each time I lace up my shoes to go out for another run.

The most important lesson I have learned from running so far is that it does not make me a selfish mom to go out for a run. It makes me a better mom. Running makes me happy. It is my passion, my therapy, my sanity and I think that taking the time to better myself and treat myself to something I love can teach my daughter a lot. Who knows... Maybe one of these days we will be running races together.

No comments:

Post a Comment