Monday, May 26, 2014

Mountains 2 Beach Half Marathon- Race #6 of 14

Race morning started early, as most race morning start. My alarm went off just after 3am and I woke up startled with the fear that the alarm had been going off for awhile.

Thankfully, I had enough time to get up and get my things together. I had already set most of my things out the night before, but I just needed to put a few things together before heading outside to be picked up at 4am.

Unfortunately I wasn't going to be picked up because I had read the text message wrong and I was supposed to be picking Rachel up. We got it all figured out though and didn't waste any time to get to the shuttles.

Our shuttle time was 5:15am, however we were able to get on an earlier bus since we were already there. The start line was a short ways away from where we were dropped off so we made the walk to the start line.

The one good thing about the start line was the number of port-o-potties. There were more than enough and it was nice to not have to wait in line or worry that you wouldn't make it to the start.

Rachel and I started talking about the plan for the next 13.1 miles. We decided that since training hadn't gone quite as planned this past month we would extend our walking intervals and do 30:130. It actually worked out really well and we were able to maintain our pace and use this half as a training run for the Mammoth Half Marathon next month. There was no pressure to finish in a certain amount of time.

The run wasn't awful, however there wasn't much to look at on the course. Apparently the first half of the marathon course is where the views are, but since we start at the halfway point of that course we got the industrial views for almost all of our course. Thankfully it was mostly flat and relatively easy to complete.

I strive to be better about race recaps. To give detail and be witty about the things that happen along the course. The things I think or feel or see. That doesn't seem interesting though, at least not when I type it out. So instead, as always, I leave you with pictures from the race and of the course.








 
 
Our finishing time was 3:00:12, which was right on track for what we planned to do. A long distance training run for us means a pace of a 13:30-14:30 minute mile and we were consistently around a 14 minute mile.
 
The only concern I had before, during and after the race was the pain I was feeling in my hip. I've been experiencing some discomfort for about a week now, but it wasn't as bad as it was race day morning. By the end of the race, and after the drive home, it was a little difficult to walk. Ice, rest and a massage made it better by this morning. There's still a dull ache, but I am not as concerned about it as I was yesterday.
 
It will be something I pay attention to though. I am definitely one to tell others to listen to their bodies. Especially those who are thinking about starting a running streak. Listen to your body. Don't push it too far. And then here I am with a potential injury and what did I do tonight? Well I went out to continue my streak..
 
Mammoth is the next half on schedule. It will be the halfway point to this years running goal. I cannot begin to express my excitement for this next race. It will be in my favorite place that I have been and the sights during the course are going to be breathtaking. I am slightly concerned about the elevation as we will not have an opportunity to train in high elevation beforehand. We are going up a few days before the race and will be able to run a few miles in order to help us get used to it, but I know it may not be enough. But, if we walk the whole thing then we walk the whole thing. I'm just so happy that I get this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment