Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Week One

You do what you have to do in order to find success. For me that means writing down what works and what doesn't work to look back on at some point to see similarities and hopefully make changes at some point to show progress. If I have a good week I can look and see what worked well. If I have a bad week I can look and see what didn't work well and what I could work on.

Weigh in is tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it no matter what the scale says only because I'm using this as an opportunity to learn along the way.

What worked:
1. Not stressing about knowing/not knowing the nutritional information.
2. Giving a meal a realistic amount of calories when I don't know the nutritional information, watch portions, enjoy it and move on.
3. Pushing through a run (the first mile or two are always the most difficult for me).
4. Having a running streak to force me to get out for at least one mile.
5. Tracking. Even when going over by over 1,000 calories.
6. Packing. Surprisingly giving me a distraction.

What didn't work:
1. Going to lunch at a restaurant that I don't know the nutritional information for.
2. Not going for my scheduled walks at work.
3. Stress. 
4. Pizza for dinner two nights in a row.
5. A cranky child.
6. PMS
7. Going over by 1,000 calories and feeling like the week is over.
8. Not tracking.
9. Daily weighing.
10. Not drinking enough water.
11. Not blogging.
12. More stress.
13. Not sleeping well.
14. Negative self talk.
15. Not going grocery shopping.

The lists could go on and on and on. But I'm glad that I wrote them down. It helps me to see that what I'm doing that doesn't work is a lot more than what I'm doing that does work. I'm not giving myself the tools I need to succeed.

I need more positivity. More structure. More groceries in the refrigerator. More motivation.

Less stress.

It's a lot easier said than done. For all of it. Especially when your head and your heart are not in it 100%. I wish I could find that motivation I started with. I wish it would carry me through. I wish that the results were visible so that it felt like I was actually making a difference on a day to day basis. Obviously I can't have everything I wish for so I'm going to have to fake it until I make it.

I'm not sure what to anticipate for tomorrow. I weighed in daily and my weight fluctuated a lot:
183.2
182.4
183.0
181.2
182.0
182.8
181.8

It goes to show you that daily weighing is only beneficial when you look at it over a bigger span of time. Seeing it on the day to day is not an accurate picture. But, we shall see what happens. And hope that next week I can show more self control.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy, I think you will eventually find you will be less discouraged if you only weigh yourself every 2 - 4 weeks. It's like waiting for the "pot to boil". It only causes more unnecessary stress and impatience. Buy and prep some organic veggies like carrots, celery, zucchini, etc. and keep them closeby at home & work. Also banana chips, and other dried fruit chips. Just a couple of suggestions. Hope I didn't say anything wrong to upset you...cause I do care about you. Oh, & also here is a neat nutrition site where you can type in a food and it quickly gives you a lot of info. http://nutritiondata.self.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing upsetting! I appreciate the suggestions and will take everything into consideration. I am always open to new ideas and constructive criticism :) Thank you!

      Delete