Friday, December 13, 2013

Day 50

I have officially reached my first mini goal on my running streak.

I reached it a few days ago and didn't get around to posting this like I had wanted to, but I'm proud of it and felt like it's better late than never.

I had put a few running goals on my bucket list, five of them being solely focused on a running streak. I had attempted a Runners World streak and made it 31 days in a row before quitting while on vacation. I knew that I wanted to try again, but on my terms. 

So I did. My goals are: 50 days, 100 days, 250 days, 365 days and 500 days in a row. It takes a special kind of crazy/dedication/passion to want to push yourself this way. I have received the same question repeatedly... 

"Why?"

Because I can. And because 10 years from now I don't want to look back and think of all the things I should have attempted when I was younger. So I'm thinking of the crazy things I can do now and I'm doing them. Plus, the 1 mile = $1 sure helps build up the Dopey Challenge funds when you are running daily.

I attempted to run the Runners World streak the way they want you to. 1 mile running. Not walking, not intervals, no elliptical, not biking or swimming or hopping or skipping or crawling. Running. I laughed at the thought and then decided I'd try it. I made it quite a ways before realizing that I wasn't enjoying it. I was proud of myself, but was so ready to give up. So I switched to allowing myself to run intervals.

That didn't really help matters though and at the first opportunity I gave up my streak.

I had it on my list of things I wanted to do however I never started another attempt until one random day in October when I just decided to lace up my shoes and go for a run.

It's that simple for me. I just go out and do it now without thinking about it and without pressuring myself. Yes, there are days when I don't want to go, but I force myself to do the minimum one mile. I have gotten into the bad habit of only doing one mile on most days, but for now that's okay because there are so many reasons as to why that is the way it is right now. Once the new year starts and I start my goal of running and/or walking 1250 miles for the entire year I will be able to focus more on getting in longer runs and going for daily walks on my break at work.

Here's onto the next mini goal! 100 days will be here before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment