Friday, January 17, 2014

Bucket List #140: Run a 5K distance straight through (does not need to be a race)

I have been doing really well with sticking to my workout schedule this past week. I had to make one adjustment (moving a workout at the gym from Tuesday to Wednesday) and felt good about the flexibility of rescheduling instead of just canceling. I feel like something has stuck this go around and I am really excited to be seeing changes, both physically and mentally. I am finding myself excited about workouts and am choosing healthier options.

Yesterday's workout was a run (minimum one mile to satisfy my running streak), an arm workout and the gym (no set time on the stationary bike). I called Patrick before I left work to see if he wanted to join me and surprisingly he said yes. I got home from work, picked him up and we headed straight to the gym. My plan was simple- 20ish minutes on the treadmill running intervals and then 30ish minutes on the stationary bike while I read my second book for the month.

Simple turned into so much more.

With Meg's death on my mind and #megsmiles on Saturday I wanted to do more than I normally would do. I needed to push myself past that comfort zone. So, as I pressed quick start and increased the speed for my first running interval I made the decision to not press start on my interval timer and instead to run a 5K distance straight through.

This goal of mine has been on my bucket list for quite some time. I have never attempted it before and to be honest I put it on my list without the intention of ever actually trying. But for some reason, on this particular night, I decided to try.

Those who know me know that I hate the treadmill, calling it the dreadmill instead. I very rarely choose to run on a treadmill over outdoor running and it would take extreme circumstances for me to run longer than 20 minutes on a treadmill. But again, for whatever reason the idea of completing this bucket list item crossed my mind and I didn't give it a second thought.

I chose to run at a "slower" speed of 5.5 mph, something that I felt I could maintain for awhile. I like to believe that when I am running outside that I am running faster than 5.5 mph during the running intervals. I know that I have been told that my walking intervals are faster than normal (tall girl problems), so that gives me hope for my running. I know that my mile times can be considered on the slower side for other runners, however I like how I run and I'm okay with it.

I ran a mile straight and felt pretty good. After all, that's the farthest distance I have run straight through so I knew I could at least do that. I decided then that I needed to cover the time and distance display on the treadmill in order to not obsess over it and stare at it the entire time. I was starting to struggle but focused on just taking it one step at a time and not giving up.

I told myself that when the television at the gym went to a commercial break I could look at the distance. My hope was to be past 1.5 miles when the commercial started. I didn't take into account that the channel was on CNN and they don't go to commercials very often...

When they finally did I was at mile 2.07. There was nothing that could keep me from finishing the entire distance. No matter what, I was going to go until I saw 3.1 on the display. I was having some difficulty and had to dig deep in order to finish. I was thinking of Meg. I was doing this for her. And then this song came on...

 
I almost lost it right there on the treadmill in the middle of the gym. I mean, this isn't a song that you would think would play in the middle of a gym. The music they normally play is high paced.. upbeat. I pushed on. Right up until I reached my goal. 3.1 miles straight through. No stopping. No walking.

 
This may not seem like a big accomplishment for most runners. But it's been over 24 hours since I did it and I am still high on running endorphins. I am still proud of myself for what I pushed myself to do. What I didn't give up doing.
 

Tomorrow's run will also be for Meg. I've printed out my running bib and am planning on wearing blue. The scheduled training run is 4 miles tomorrow, however I haven't decided if I am going to do more or not. I feel as though I should do more, but at the same time I do not want to risk an injury during my training. We shall see what it looks like and feels like in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO proud of you! What an awesome accomplishment! I know you have had this on your bucket list for a long time and I think this is a huge step forward for you! Sometimes we just need that little push. I'm excited to see you continue to improve after this because I know it is a big mental hurdle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Danielle! That really means a lot :) I definitely think it was more of a mental hurdle than a physical one and it really did show me that I need to give myself more credit.

      Delete