Friday, January 31, 2014

January Mini Goals- Update/Recap

New Years Goals that will be included monthly:

1. Write in a journal every day: I have continued this goal and am really actually enjoying it. It feels really nice to get things out at the end of each day, to write it all down and think things through. I am coming to terms with not needing to write more than half a page each day. I used to think each day had to be filled with deep and meaningful thoughts, but I realized instead it's a great tool to work through my thoughts and decide on certain decisions.
2. Take at least one picture a day: I have been truly enjoying this goal and am so glad to have stuck with it for this long. I would really like to make more time to go out and use my new camera instead of relying on my phone, but as far as completing this goal I will take what I can get.
3. Run and/or walk 105 miles: I kicked asphalt this month. No, I'm not going to be humble about it. Prior to this month my highest mileage month was September 2012 when I got up to 114.73 miles (right before having three months in a row with less than 25 miles each month). I ended the month with a total of 146.98 miles. A whole 41.98 miles ahead of schedule. If I continue with this momentum I will be able to reach my goal of 1250 quickly and possibly go on to do even more... Say, 1400 miles in 2014?
4. Run at least one mile every day to continue running streak: I have completed the goal of a minimum of 1 mile every day, bringing my streak to 103 miles as of today. I never thought I would make it this far and yet it feels like it's flown by.
5. Track on MFP: Today is day 49 in a row. Some days I tracked better than others, some days I only tracked a meal or two. I find myself being less motivated and I really do not like that feeling. I need to get back to it because I feel so much better when I do.
6. Read two books: Completed! I finished Jodi Picoult's Mercy and Jodi Picoult's Songs of the Humpback Whale. Both good books. It took me longer to get into the second book, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I had Isabel help me pick 3/24 and this one is difficult to put down. I should be finished within a week. Hopefully I can keep this pace with reading and surpass my book goal too.

January Goals:

1. Have at least one child free date night with Patrick: We were able to get away for a night, taking advantage of the night she spent the night at my parents. We went out to dinner to the Cheesecake Factory, enjoying a "free" dinner thanks to Patrick's generous employees who got him a gift certificate to that restaurant. We splurged on an appetizer, delicious dinner and dessert! We then walked around the mall, where Patrick got a massage and I bought a new outfit.
2. Take Isabel to feed the ducks: Completed! I don't know why we don't do this more often. And I don't know why I keep saying that and not doing it. It's a wonderful and very inexpensive thing to do on a day off when we're sitting around complaining about how bored we are.
3. Make weekly workout schedules and stick to it: I actually feel really good about this goal. There were some workouts that I had to move around, but I think that's okay and I'm really happy that I was flexible with these workouts. Sometimes I have a tendency of having an off day and not getting my workout in. This is not beneficial to me in anyway because then it carries over to the next day, then the next, then the next, etc until before I realize it I am not working out at all and not enjoying the idea of working out. At this point I am still enjoying the workouts I am doing without feeling burnt out.
4. Organize apartment: There are a few odds and ends here and there that need to be sorted and taken care of, but to be honest it's looking pretty good. We still have to figure out a system for chores because as it still stands (3 years living together!) one of us feels taken advantage of at some point or another. It's difficult to want to pick up or clean after a long day at work for either of us, so we end up cleaning on our days off. Then we feel resentful that we are cleaning on our days off. I'm sure we'll figure something out at some point, but for now we are just working on not keeping score and appreciating what the other person is able to do when they do it without expectations.
5. Cook dinner at least once: I made the bubble-up enchiladas recipe this month and it turned out well. I think I have too high of expectations for myself and am obviously my biggest critic. It didn't help that Patrick got the stomach flu the night I cooked dinner. I know that it had nothing to do with my cooking, but that was bad timing. I am looking into what I want to cook for next month, but haven't found anything yet (granted my search has just started...)
6. Bake a new cookie and/or cupcake recipe: I decided to make cupcakes last weekend. I found this recipe for nutella mini cupcakes that only needed three ingredients. Instead of doing the nutella for frosting (in fear of too much nutella.. is there such a thing?) I used my vanilla frosting recipe from a cupcake cookbook I often use. I did step out a little with the new recipe, but stuck with an oldie but goodie for the frosting. I, personally, think they turned out really well and enjoyed eating too many of them. They cam out in a kind of brownie consistency. I will definitely make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment