Sunday, November 24, 2013

Canceling a Long Distance Run

I have become really attached to my training schedule. My long distance training runs have been important to me to complete and I've been enjoying getting back into the higher mileage. It was like starting over and I like reaching those milestones again.

Yesterday morning was supposed to be the last long distance run before Santa to the Sea in December.

14 miles.

I was a little nervous on Wednesday when it started raining and showed rain in the forecast through Saturday. I won't cancel a run for rain, but it does make it slightly uncomfortable. I really do prefer to run in a variety of weather conditions because you never know what race day will look like and I would rather be over prepared.

My least favorite weather to run in, and the one I'm most likely to cancel a run for, is wind. Not any wind, but if the weather channel shows that the wind is over 20 miles per hour then I usually have an internal debate about whether or not I should go.

The debate goes back and forth for awhile. I know that when I run in the wind I have issues later in the day with my lungs. They end up feeling dirty and it's just not something I like dealing with (but who would?)

I also have some concerns about falling tree branches and other issues that arise from high winds. Like the headaches I tend to get.

Don't get me wrong, I know that many people go out and run in worse conditions than this on a daily basis. That is part of what sparks my debate. I mentally know it's better that I don't go, but I start thinking about if I'm not going for my safety or because I just don't want to go and I'm making an excuse.

Since I am the queen of excuses and can easily make a reason to not workout or go for a run, it's a bit of a crazy few minutes in my head.

Rachel and I emailed each other Friday since the winds were pretty high. We decided to play it by ear, but I think we both knew that we wouldn't be running the 14 miles together this weekend.

Friday night we talked and decided it would be better to be safe than sorry and since our race is in two weeks we would just increase our mileage for next weekend slightly. Neither of us are trying to PR at this race, so all we need to focus on is making it the full distance. 

That night I looked at the weather again and decided that if the wind had calmed down then I would go for the run. I woke up at 5am and realized that it just wouldn't be a good decision to go and that I would need to split the mileage between Saturday and Sunday if I was going to get it in.

So that's what I did. I went out to run 7 miles on Saturday and was feeling so good at mile 3.5 that I just kept going to the end of that portion of the wash, which ended up being an even four miles. 

I text Patrick, asking him if he knew what I love (besides him and Isabel). He responded "running?" 

I sent him the following: "Yes, but more specifically- a runners high. When you reach the point in a run where it becomes effortless and you just glide along. It also makes you feel like you can keep running forever."

He said he can't really relate but that he's happy I'm happy. How can you not be with a view like this?!

 
Sunday started early with a trip to the swap meet with my mom. It was at a larger venue and we found some great deals. 

It did make it difficult to want to go run when I got home because I was tired, however I knew I needed to get out and just do it. 

It may not have felt as good as yesterday's run but it was a run and 6.31 miles later I completed the full 14 miles.  

Even a bad run is good because I'm out doing it.

 
I know that it doesn't really count because the mileage should be all in a row, and I had to split up the mileage for the 12 mile run as well, but I think it should count for something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment