Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day Dash / Isabel's First Race / Emma's PR

Today marks a very special day in my running world. A day that I've been looking forward to for awhile. A day that I may be more excited about than any other running day to date.

Isabel is running her first race today, and I am one proud running mom! I love the fact that she came to me to ask to run the 1K on thanksgiving. I love the fact that she constantly asked to run with me to train. I love that when I would ask her how far she wanted to run on the training runs she would tell me "100 miles". I love that she asks when she can run a marathon with me. I love the excitement on her face when she got her first pair of running shoes. I love how excited she was when I gave her the running bib.

We set our clothes out last night and she laid them perfectly on the floor. She was ready to go and couldn't wait to run. 

 

I picked my niece up at 6:50am and we drove to the race. We got there early, but the time went by quickly and we distracted ourselves by playing I Spy. 
 

My parents and Patrick came to watch the race and pretty close to 8am we began the 1K kids fun run. The run was four laps around the field and I encouraged Isabel to run the entire time without walking. She did great and I think she really enjoyed herself. 


Not long after that it was time to line up for the 5K. 



We had our interval timers ready to run 30:1 intervals and we were off! The first mile is usually the worst because it feels more crowded. You're not really sure what the people around you are planning on doing (running, walking, intervals, etc) and it can get frustrating leap frogging back and forth. But it usually opens up around mile one.

I was really impressed with Emma today. She was running strong and fast. I knew pretty early on that if she continued with that pace then she would get a PR (personal record). It was then that I told her I think it's time to up the distance. She's completed three 5Ks and has improved her speed. Maybe a 10K is in the near future..

She finished strong with a time of 39:05. I couldn't be more proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment