Sunday, November 10, 2013

Race Recap- Calabasas Classic 5K and 10K

Today was the Calabasas Classic race that I have been looking forward to for awhile. I ran the 5K two years ago with my sister, so I knew how the course would be.

Basically, it's hills. 

I love hills!!! 

Well, not really, but that's what I have to tell myself to get through them. 


I ran the 5K at a decent pace for me. My current PR for a 5K is 33:30, but that was when I was in better shape and on a much flatter course. Today I finished in 36:16.
After finishing I walked around for a few minutes waiting for the 10K to start. I had my fuel and felt good, ready to go. I felt confident and took off strong.

Too strong. 

Again. 

The first two miles were pretty good. I knew that if I maintained that pace then I would PR. But mile 3 was tough and it got very mental at that point. I wanted to give up at the turn around point. I did not want to have to run the course again for a third time. I just wanted to stop. 

Instead I adjusted my intervals from 1:45 to 45:1 and ended up leap frogging with an older gentleman who was speed walking. He kept me laughing, telling me I couldn't let the old tortoise win. 

At mile 5.5, right at heart break hill I gave up on my intervals. I was mentally exhausted and my legs were not listening to me. I walked up the hill so that I could finish strong. And it was here where the tortoise passed me for the last time. I guess today's story ended the same as the fable.

I did get back to my intervals at the top of the hill and saw my family as I crossed the finish. 

My current PR for a 10K is 1:15:00. I finished today's 10K in 1:17:46. Considering I had just run a 5K I really cannot complain about the time. Before the race started I told myself 1:20:00. Around mile 2 the thought of a PR was enticing. Around mile 4 I just wanted to finish. Around mile 5.5 I just wanted to finish alive.
I may not be as fast as most, but I run. Not just with my feet, but with my heart. I've found my passion. Some days are better than others, but when all is said and done I'm doing what I love to do.

And with that said, I'm off to finish my 12 mile training day with another 3 slow (very slow) miles. Just need to do the distance at this point..

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on pushing through and finishing strong! It sounds like it was a tough course, and races back to back are no joke! I'm also super proud of you for finishing those 12 miles - that is TOUGH! I'm glad the shirt gave you a boost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a lot tougher than I anticipated. I think the stop and go added to the internal struggle of whether I could finish or not. The t-shirt helped me PR at my last marathon and while running on Sunday I knew that I wanted to wear the same "uniform" while completing my goal next year. After receiving so many compliments on your shirt I knew it was the one to help get me through.

      Delete