Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ripped in 30- Day Nineteen

I pushed off both my run and the workout DVD longer than I should have today. By the time I got around to it the sun had started to set and I was in a foul mood. 

A combination of Christmas gift shopping and a child that doesn't listen I was torn between exhaustion and not wanting to do my workout and wanting to escape and go for my run. I pushed back the DVD already this week and it was necessary to complete it tonight in order to finish it tomorrow. The run was a different story though.

I've been fairly lucky in regards to not getting injured. I've had aches and pains, and almost quit the LA Marathon this past year due to shin pain (and some mental weakness/self doubt). New shoes, a knee brace and some runners tape fixed those annoyances. 

I've missed three races that I have signed up for in the past three and a half years. One last year due to being sick (bronchitis and a sinus infection), one this past April due to having surgery on my wrist (I had signed up for the race a long time before the surgery was scheduled), and most recently last month I missed the Color Run because Patrick had surgery on his neck the day before.

I say this because I don't give up. I don't quit. I push. But my foot has started to feel off and it's causing me to worry. For now the plan is to slow down my pace and adjust my intervals to run less. Ice often and when I'm not running I will be resting. And lastly, staying off of the Internet to self diagnose myself with a stress fracture or bone spur or some other upsetting diagnoses. 

I will continue to listen to my body. I will see a doctor if needed, but until then I am sticking to my training while modifying slightly. 

I didn't want to go all out today so I waited to go for my run. When I went I decided to stick to just 1-2 miles to test out my foot. I knew if I could make it 2 miles then I would be able to run my long distance training run of 4 miles tomorrow.

I made it with only some irritation in my shins, normal for me for any run under 3 miles.

I came home and immediately did Ripped in 30, again listening to my body. If my foot started to hurt then I modified the exercise or did a different exercise so I could continue to workout the full 30 minutes. 

I knew that since it was modified that I should do a little more. I decided to do the arm workout from Jackie Warner that I've started doing with my coworker and best friend at work. We're going to try for 3 days a week. It's a great workout, so I did it at the end of Ripped in 30 to get in just a little extra push.

I'm one workout away from finishing a pretty intense four weeks. I am pretty happy with the results and pretty happy to take a week or two to figure out a good balance to run daily, get in cross training and continue to strength train. 

My new goal is technically in progress since training for Santa to the Sea started weeks ago and the race is 22 days away. It's going to be an interesting next 13+ months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment