Friday, November 22, 2013

Starting While She's Young

I have never pushed running on Isabel. I didn't necessarily want my hobbies to be her hobbies unless she showed an interest.

I've been running consistently for three years. She's been at home waiting for me when I get home from a training run. She's been at the finish line for countless races of all distances. Recently she's been asking to run with me, so when I get finished with the distance I come back around and pick her up for a short run (usually no longer than 1 mile).

About a month ago, the signs started going up for our neighborhood's Turkey Day Dash. I participated in the race two years ago when it was at a different location and it was a pretty decent race.

I hadn't planned on running it this year until my mom called me one day at work and told me that Isabel had told her that she wants to do the 1K kids fun run. I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't excited. I've really been looking forward to this and hoping that it would happen at some point.

I've really enjoyed that running started (and continues) with my sister and I. My niece has been participating in 5Ks and will be doing the Turkey Day Dash 5K with me this year (her third race). And now Isabel will be running in her first race with me on Thanksgiving.

I decided I wanted to do something special. I don't know if she will enjoy it or not, but I can only hope that running is something that she and I can share, so I decided to get a gift for her.


 
Her first pair of running shoes.
 
They were a surprise and she absolutely loved them. We don't have long to break them in, since the race is next week, but they will hopefully last a little while and I hope that she continues to have the desire to do this together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment