Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Rock N Roll Half Marathon- Race Recap

This was the first race from the Rock N Roll series that Rachel and I have participated in, and I will say it was very well organized and a good race all around.


 The course was relatively flat for the most part. At least until mile 9 when the elevation spiked. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't pretty either. Plus, whatever goes up must come down.

It's at races that I always miss having a small camera. There is no way that I would be able to run with the camera I currently have. Thankfully Rachel took a few pictures so this post won't be completely boring..



There were a lot of costumes too. Some cute, some creative and some that made me wonder if these people had ever run in a race before. I'm sure at some point they regretted the decision to wear full get ups in 80+ degree weather and while running a half marathon. Not something I would necessarily do, but to each their own.

I was lucky enough to find my costume online and it was fairly easy to run in. I was not as lucky to find spandex shorts that were in the right price range and I mistakenly picked a pair of shorts that ended up riding up the entire race. A lesson better not learned while in a race.

Rachel and I did really well time wise from the beginning. We hit our stride and stuck with it for a really long time. I had a difficult first two miles, as always, but ended up feeling better between mile two and three. For some reason my shins, knees and thighs were irritating me and my feet were really heavy. Not sure if it's mental or if I just take a while to warm up. It's annoying, but at least it goes away.

We started incorporating extra walk breaks around mile 8. The heat was getting to us and it was nice to cool down by walking a little longer. Shortly after walking up the hill Rachel felt like she was going to slow me down. She told me to go on and I told her no. We're both stubborn like that. I'm not 100% sure, but I think she feels bad, like she's holding me back or something, but to be honest I'd rather walk the entire distance with her than leave her 3 miles out to finish alone. It's not a pride thing, it's a I started this with you I'm finishing it with you feeling.

At mile 12 she told me again to go on and I did. I decided to go from 45:1 intervals to 1:30 intervals. Our goal, as with all half marathons, is to finish in under 3 hours. I crossed the finish line with a time of 2:54:39. Rachel quickly followed, finishing in 2:58:20.


It felt good that both of us were able to reach our goal.
Race results:
Time- 2:54:39
Distance- 13.39
Mile 1- 12:34
Mile 2- 12:44
Mile 3- 13:07
Mile 4- 12:29
Mile 5- 12:41
Mile 6- 12:49
Mile 7- 12:26
Mile 8- 12:55
Mile 9- 13:31
Mile 10- 14:10
Mile 11- 14:45
Mile 12- 15:27
Mile 13- 10:44
Mile 0.39- 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment