Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Turkey Day Dash

Isabel has mentioned before that she wants to run a race with me. She will often ask to join me on a run and I will swing around at the end of my scheduled run to take her for half a mile or so. During this time she will ask if we're in a race, if we can go for a hundred miles or more and when she and I can run a marathon together.

She has seen me finish 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and full marathons. She's been at the end of the majority of the races I've run and is usually the first one to great me when I get home from my training run asking if I'm sweaty (or on the special occasion telling me in my sweaty, red faced glory that I look beautiful).

About a month ago I ran in a 5K with my niece and my best friend. It was my best friends first 5K and my niece's second. We had a lot of fun and I think Isabel was a little jealous.

I don't think she's quite ready for the 3.1 distance, so I was pretty excited to find out that she saw a sign for the Turkey Day Dash on Thanksgiving. I ran this race two years ago and I really enjoyed it. They have not only the 5K that morning, but a 1K fun run. She asked my mom if she could run in the 1K and as soon as I found out she was interested I immediately signed us up.

The plan is for me to run the 1K with her at 8am and then I'm going to run the 5K at 8:30am. I'm trying to see if my niece can run it with me. It was really nice training with her and watching her finish and I'd really like to be able to do that again. She has shown interest in running a half marathon together at some point, so the more we can run together the better.

I told Isabel yesterday that I had signed her up and she was so excited. I may or may not be extremely excited that she shows interest in something that I have a passion for. We'll see if she still likes it after we finish. If she's anything like me, she's going to hate it while she's doing it and love it when it's over. And of course, she'll be planning when she can do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment