Sunday, October 6, 2013

Workout Recap 9/30 - 10/6

Monday: 30-45 minutes gym- bike ✔, 30 Day Shred level 1 ✔

It took me a little longer to get out of bed this morning than I would have liked, but I did it. Stepping back into the gym after a month off felt great. I missed the routine of waking up early for a morning workout. Knowing that you've completed your workout in the morning makes the day so much better for some reason.

I have decided that it would work best for me and my goals to do my cross training and strength training on the same day. I feel as though the stationary bike and the elliptical are the two machines I like best that work my legs on my non-running days. I am able to get to the gym before work for at least a half hour, which is a good workout (despite what I may tell myself). 

Today was the stationary bike for 35 minutes and 9.68 miles.

I save the strength training for after work. This week I decided on level one of 30 Day Shred. I've completed the full 30 days before and am comfortable with the routine. I know it's a good workout and even though I'm not doing it 30 days in a row I truly believe I will get results eventually.

I save this workout for after work because we live on the second floor in an apartment complex. I try to take other people into consideration and prefer to not workout before 9am or after 8pm. We've been the downstairs neighbor before. It's not always pleasant. I'm sure the jumping jacks, jump rope and butt kick portions are not pleasant, but thankfully that's only 30 seconds at a time and the DVD lasts less than 30 minutes.

To be honest, I was not looking forward to going home to do the DVD. I attempted the workout a few months ago and could barely make it through. I was so ready to push the workout to Friday and then realized how silly it would be to skip a scheduled workout on the first day. It wasn't an easy workout, but it was easier than the last time I attempted it, which gives me hope that the running I've been doing the last few months have build up some strength. 

The important thing for me to remember through all of this is that this isn't a change that will happen over night. I have to be patient and stick with it. It's going to take weeks if not months to notice a difference. But I will get there.

Tuesday: 30-45 minute interval run- hill training ✔
Today was hill training. I love running. Even when I hate it I still love it.
Most of my running courses include a hill or two, especially if I'm running around my parents neighborhood while they watch Isabel. I have yet run specifically for hill training though. Mostly on purpose. 
"I love hills.. I love hills.. I love hills.." 
I have to repeat this to myself during every running interval while going up a hill. It may not be true, but you have to do what works for you to make it through, and for whatever reason this mantra makes it a little easier to get up those hills. 
I wasn't going for speed or for distance today, but simply a 30-45 minute run. I decided on a course which would be pretty basic. I ran up one side and down the other and repeat. I ended up running up each side twice for a total of four hills and 2.72 miles. 
I was definitely feeling it after and am really glad that I am starting to take training more seriously. In the past I trained by simply going for my one long training run. Occasionally I made it out once (very rarely twice) for my weekday run. Something I do not suggest.
I am hoping that by doing the hill training and the speed training that I will improve and notice a difference in my running, be it physically or speed and endurance.

Distance: 2.72 miles
Time: 34:16
Avg Pace: 12:37 min/mi
Avg Speed: 4.8mph
Max Speed: 7.9mph

Mile 1- 12:42
Mile 2- 12:32
Mile 0.72- 9:02

 


Wednesday: 30-45 minutes gym- elliptical ✔ 30 Day Shred level 1 ✔
 
I made it out the door just slightly after I had planned. I got on the elliptical and started the "weight loss" pre programmed workout. With my iPod in I started the 28 minute workout, 4 minutes at level one 4 minutes at level eight.
 
It ended up being a great workout, and after the 5 minute cool down I made it past my goal for a total of 33 minutes and 2.95 miles. (I would have gone the extra 0.05 miles, but the time was pre registered and ended automatically).
 
After work I made sure to get changed in my workout clothes and pop in the DVD right away. I know myself and if I sit down I will not get back up. 
 
Tonight seemed to be a little more difficult (I'm sure for a variety of reasons) and I found myself stopping for a couple seconds to regain my composure before getting back to it. Still a great workout and still worth every second and every drop of sweat.
 
I finished and was very happy to think that I only have two workouts left for this week. I normally don't take two rest days in a week, so it's going to be interesting not having a workout on both Friday and Sunday. I'm sure I'm going to be either highly enjoying it or sneaking in a workout anyway. 
 
I also started thinking about what I want next week to look like. I decided that since I have a few workout DVDs (all Jillian Michael's) that I would rotate between them so that I don't get bored. Maybe level one on each twice before moving up to the next level. We'll see what works.

Thursday: 30-45 minute interval run- speed training ❌

I did not make it out for my run tonight. I pretty much talked myself out of it, but also realized that I needed the night off. Work has been really stressful and I don't see that letting up for at least the next three months. I've been going in early every morning and taking short lunches. Excuses, excuses.

Tonight is also Isabel's second swim lesson. I was able to still go for my run on Tuesday because I left work early in order to go with Patrick to his doctor's appointment (another addition to my stress- which I will go into more detail later). Tonight just seemed a little overwhelming when it came down to it.

I got home at 5, helped Isabel with her homework, had dinner with Isabel and Patrick, talked to Isabel about school (another addition to my stress- which I will go into more detail later), took Isabel to her swim lesson, came home and gave Isabel a bath, folded some laundry, put Isabel to bed and went to bed myself.

It was a pretty easy decision for me to make. I contemplated just going for the run anyway and eating a little later, but the whole point of this lifestyle change is to add it to my life, not let it take over. If I had gone for my run then I would have missed our on time with my family. I feel as though since Saturday's long training run is only 3 miles then it will not hurt to push back the speed training one day.

More than likely I will not go all out tomorrow and will go for the minimum 30 minutes. I do not want to risk injury, but still want to get in the run.
 
Friday: rest ❌
 
I almost talked myself out of going for my run tonight due to the high winds we are experiencing, but I only had to start to tell Patrick that I didn't want to go and he was ready to push me out the door. Not literally, but he knew I would regret not going and he would have been right.

Speed training is probably my least favorite out of the three runs during the week. I'm definitely not a speed runner and am pretty comfortable while still pushing myself at a 12-13 minute mile. I know that it would take a lot out of me to consistently run under a 12 minute mile and I am just not there yet, which is probably why these speed training sessions are on the schedule.

I went out tonight and found it pretty easy for the first mile or so. Then the winds kicked up and it got a little more difficult to mentally count steps every running interval. But I made it through the full time and the full distance using my intervals. I allowed myself to slow down after the second mile since I am getting up early tomorrow to run three miles, but it was still around the 12 minute mile mark.

Overall it was a great run and I am really glad I went.

Distance: 2.75 miles
Time: 32.06
Avg Pace: 11:40 min/mi
Avg Speed: 5.1mph
Max Speed: 15.8mph (possibly on the downhill, most likely due to the winds).

Mile 1- 11:28
Mile 2- 11:14
Mile 0.75- 9:24







Saturday: long distance training run (3 miles) ✔

I woke up early this morning in order to get in my three miles. My parents are coming over at 7:15am in order to pick Isabel and I up. We're heading to my niece's soccer game then taking the kids to Sea World. Hopefully it's not as windy there..

I didn't want to go for my run last night because of the wind. It's difficult, for the obvious reasons but it also takes a lot out of you physically. I'm glad I went last night, even if my lungs were killing me at the end.

My GPS watch uploads a lot of data when I connect it to my computer including my course, elevation, time, distance and the weather. Last night I plugged it in and it said the winds were only 13mph. Personally they felt much harder than that though (and after checking the weather channel from yesterday they were. 23mph). 

When I woke up this morning I was looking forward to my run. I was planning on wearing my GPS watch, but turning it over so that I couldn't see the time. I've been trying to get myself to run my long distance runs at a slower pace, but I tend to get sucked into trying to improve each mile and using a lot of energy the first two miles. I need to do these runs based on how I feel.

As I laid in bed I could hear the winds. It didn't sound pretty. I knew that last night's run took a lot out of me, so I made a deal with myself. If the winds were less than 20mph I would run. Anything higher and I would make a new plan. 

The winds are currently ENE at 23mph.

I decided that, for me, it just wasn't worth it to go out again and push my body to work harder than it should on a slow speed day. 

My other options are to either 1. Run on a treadmill or 2. Run tomorrow when the predicted weather shows 8mph winds in the morning. Hopefully that lasts until I get home. I would do a lot of things in order to not run on a treadmill.. So for now the plan is to go for the three miler tomorrow morning. It may work out for me to go tonight while we're in San Diego, but after walking all day at Sea World I may not have the energy. 

I like being able to be flexible. Things happen that I can't control, the main one being the weather. I'm sure there are plenty of bad-ass runners who went out for their run today. I'm sure there are plenty of runners who go out in worse weather than this. I, personally, know how I would feel after a run in this wind because I've attempted it before. I'd much rather be able to breathe the rest of the day. I know my limits. 90* heat with humidity? I'm there. Rain? Hell yes! I'm not going to just give up because the conditions are not ideal, and I do think training in different weather conditions is a good thing, but when you know you shouldn't go then it's best to listen to that voice.

Update: I wrote today's entry this morning before we went to my niece's soccer game (they tied 0-0). It was so windy that I knew I had made the right decision to not run this morning. By the end of the game my lungs were hurting and they felt, well, dirty. Just by sitting outside for an hour. I can't even imagine how those girls were running around playing soccer.

We left immediately after the game ended at 9am for sunny San Diego. It took us about 3 hours, but we made it with plenty of time to experience everything we wanted to at Sea World.

I went with my niece on the new roller coaster (which was Ah-Maze-Ing!) and in doing so we missed the 4:30pm Shamu show. Thankfully there was another show at 7pm.

My mom surprised the girls with dinner at the dine with Shamu restaurant. The food was really good (especially the dessert) and we were able to enjoy watching the whales play as well as perform with their trainers. 

After dinner it was time for the last Shamu show. My niece wanted to sit in the front row. I agreed to sit in the splash zone, but not that close.. My mom and I decided to sit up a little higher while my niece sat in the fourth row.

She looked so bored since we got there early so we decided there would be no harm in sitting with her. The anticipation was intense and the 8 month old killer whale that was swimming around and trying to keep up was incredibly adorable. 

After one splash we were completely soaked. It was dark and a little cold so we moved to the back. We were really glad we did because we would have been splashed at least another five times..

To make an incredibly long story short.. My mom and I took the kids to the pool when we got to the hotel. I saw they had a gym with a treadmill and asked if I could go after we got back to the room. She agreed to watch the girls and I went to the gym.

I got in my three mile run and (surprisingly) actually enjoyed it even though it was on a treadmill. I used some random intervals and changes it up throughout the run (both speed and time). I'm not sure if the treadmill was working properly or not, but it felt like I was going slower than it said. Regardless, I did it and I'm so so glad that I did. 

Total distance: 3.1 miles
Total time: 40

Mile 1- 13:44
Mile 2- 26:15
Mile 3- 38:00
Mile 0.1- 2:00 (cool down)

Sunday: rest ✔

No comments:

Post a Comment