Monday, February 24, 2014

2000 Miles

I ran my first race March 27, 2010.

I started training for my first marathon in August of 2011.

I started logging my miles January 1, 2012.

I don't know why I waited so long to start tracking. Probably because I didn't think this would be something I would still be doing 2 years later. Most likely because I knew my OCD would kick in and I would end up writing and re-writing the mileage multiple times in multiple journals. No matter the reason why, I am so glad that I eventually started logging so that I could see the miles add up over time into what is now my journal of numbers.

I don't write much other than the date, daily miles, monthly miles, yearly miles and total miles. I don't write a course, how I was feeling, pace, etc. Maybe that would have been a smart idea but I really am not going to focus on the would have/could have/should have and instead focus on the milestones that I have made over this time.

I decided that I would track walking and/or running miles in this log. Only those exercises that were a conscious effort on my part (not steps per day by pedometer).

There were some great months (like last month where I walked and/or ran 146.98 miles) and some not so great months (the entire month of April 2013 totaled 0 miles since I had surgery in March of that year). No matter how many miles, I logged them.

Finally, over a total of 26 months, I have reached the 2000 mile milestone.

This is not something that I ever thought I would track or be excited about, however here we are and I am in full celebration mode. My half marathon yesterday brought me over and I am looking forward to continuing adding those miles on.

It definitely helps that I am paying myself $1 for every 1 mile I walk and/or run. It's adding up and I feel like paying for the Dopey Challenge is not going to feel like such a financial burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment