Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Accepting Disappointment

I had mentioned awhile ago that I would not be participating in the Dopey Challenge in 2015 like I had so desperately wanted to.

I made a plan to where I could still complete the challenge but not spend the money on the race or travel and I allowed myself a day to grieve over the loss and I moved on. Or at least I thought I did...

But then I saw this when I got to work this morning:


And all the emotions came flooding back. The excitement I felt when I thought of going to Florida, the accomplishment I would feel after crossing each of the finish lines, and the disappointment when I made the final decision to not participate due to finances.

Two hours is all it took for the Dopey Challenge to sell out today. Two hours.

I know that I made the right decision, the responsible decision. But it doesn't make it sting any less that the opportunity is now officially out of my hands.

I know it probably doesn't make sense to most people, but it's a difficult thing to let go. But, it's time to accept that this is the way it is.

I'm sure I will still feel a sense of accomplishment when I complete the 48.6 miles over four days. I know it won't be the same (running alone is never the same as at a race), but it will be enough to prove to myself that I can accomplish whatever I set my mind to, just without the $530 registration fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment