Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"He who has a why...

...can endure any how." - Nietzsche

I've really been enjoying the first two weeks of Body Revolution and this is the favorite quote that Jillian says in workout 2. It makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's a great way to put it into perspective while you're finishing up an intense workout that you want to quite.

I have been on this weight loss journey for over 10 years now and have had so many different reasons why I want to lose weight. It's ranged from vanity reasons to health reasons to making a significant other happy to being a better parent. Some reasons have helped, some have hindered. They why has changed so many times that I've stopped keeping count.

There is one thing that I have not done recently and I feel it may be a necessary part of succeeding on this journey. I feel it's time to update my list of reasons why I want to get in shape and be healthy. It's always just been something I want because I don't like the way I look, but it's so much more than that. So much more...

I'm sure the list of why will change again at some point, and I'm sure the vanity reasons may outweigh the health reasons, but for today my "why" is:

- to end the yo-yo cycle of losing and gaining the same weight
- to continue to be active and accomplish my workout goals
- to be a better influence on my children
- to continue to boost my self confidence
- to feel confident in a bathing suit
- to believe people when they tell me I'm pretty
- to handle emotions without food
- to possibly be a roll model for those that want to lose weight/get in shape
- to take pride in how I look on a day to day basis
- to be able to spend more time focusing on some of my other goals

I think keeping this list visible will help me remember why I want this. I think lists like this are meant to be open and honest, so although some of these reasons may seem vain or unimportant to some, they are mine and no one can take that away from me. And if this list helps me get through a workout or make a healthier food choice, then more power to it. At this point I'm willing to try anything to make the motivation stick, and if it makes the journey a little easier I won't complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment